1,000 Future Green Leaders Join Forests Ontario at the 2016 Ontario Envirothon
Toronto, ON, April 6, 2016 – Throughout the month of April, more than 700 students across Ontario will participate in the 2016 Ontario Envirothon regional competitions. Since 1994, the Ontario Envirothon has supported high school students in learning about our natural ecosystems and fostering a healthier environment through their actions.
Spanning from Toronto to Elk Lake, students join interactive field trips to forests, parks, woodlots, and conservation areas in their region where they participate in workshops focused on the science and sustainable management of soils, wildlife, forests, and aquatic ecosystems. In 15 regions across Ontario, workshops are led by local professionals in fields such as forestry, the natural sciences, resource management, and conservation.
Following workshops, students build their experience through hands-on challenges in the field designed so they apply knowledge and skills to understand challenges facing local ecosystems. Challenges are evaluated by program leaders, with the winning team from each region progressing to the Ontario Envirothon Provincial Championship.
For the third year in a row, the Provincial Championship will be held at Fleming College in Lindsay, Ontario, giving participants access to Fleming’s School of Environmental & Resource Sciences and opportunities to learn more about post-secondary programs related to environmental stewardship.
Envirothon programs are also held across North America in more than 50 state and provinces. The top team from each state and provincial Envirothon, including Ontario, progresses to the North American Envirothon (NAE). This year, the NAE will be hosted at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario from July 24th-29th, bringing the program to Ontario for the first time.
For more than 20 years, Envirothon has inspired a passion for our natural environment and empowered students to translate that passion into action. By engaging students early on and creating a learning experience that is both engaging and rewarding, students are able to build the foundational skills and knowledge needed to pursue studies and careers in fields related to environmental stewardship.
Forests Ontario extends our gratitude to the hundreds of teachers, program leaders, and volunteers across the provinces that make it possible for Envirothon students to participate in this unique learning experience.
2016 Ontario Envirothon regional competitions
- Workshop Day – April 1st – Sault College
- Competition & Refresher Day – May 6th to 7th – Stokley Creek Lodge
- Workshop Day – April 21st – Camp Samac
- Competition Day – May 5th – Camp Samac
- Workshop Days – April 25th to 26th – MacSkimming Centre
- Competition Day – May 3rd – MacSkimming Centre
- Workshop & Competition – April 20th to 21st – Elk Lake Eco-Centre
- Workshop & Competition – May 2nd to 3rd – Laurentian University
- Workshop Day – April 7th – Huron Natural Area
- Competition Day – April 27th – University of Waterloo
- Competition Day – May 4th, 2016 – Camp Celtic
- Workshop Day – April 19th, 2016 – Terra Cotta Conservation Area
- Competition Day – May 4th, 2016 – Terra Cotta Conservation Area
- Workshop Day – April 14th, 2016 – Wildwood Conservation Area
- Competition Day – May 5th, 2016 – Windmill Lake Wake and Eco Park (Bayfield)
- Workshop Day – April 20th, 2016 – Jericho House (Wainfleet)
- Competition Day – May 4th, 2016 – Jericho House (Wainfleet)
- Competition Day – April 20th, 2016 – Vernon Nature Trails
- Workshop Day – April 6th, 2016 – Lakehead University, Orillia Campus
- Competition Day – April 27th, 2016 – Lakehead University, Orillia Campus
South Western Ontario
- Workshop Day – April 12th, 2016 – Springwater Conservation Area (Aylmer)
- Competition Day – April 27, 2016 – Springwater Conservation Area (Aylmer)
- Workshop Day – February 26th, 2016 – Cooper Marsh Conservation Area
- Competition Day – April 15th, 2016 – St. Lawrence River Institute
- Workshop Day – April 6th – York University
- Competition Day – April 13th – Ontario Science Centre
- Workshop Day – April 12th – Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area (Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville)
- Competition Day – April 28th – Bruce’s Mill Conservation Area (Town of Whitchurch-Stoufville)