- Recognition Number
- 120 years
- 45 m
- 122 cm
This Jesuit Pear Tree is a descendant of trees brought from France by the Jesuit Missionaries in the early 18th century. These trees marked the location of early French settlements within Canada. Although historically common to the region, Jesuit Pear Trees are becoming rare. Since 2001, this species has been recognized as the symbol of the Detroit Region`s French-speaking community, which is now focused around the region of Windsor. This tree is located at the North-West corner of the Maison Francois Baby House.
The Maison Francois Baby House is a historic residence that was owned by the prominent local politician, Francois Baby. The house has been designated as a National Historic Site of Canada. Throughout the war of 1812, the house was known as La Ferme and acted as a French-Canadian ribbon farm. It was used as headquarters by both American and British forces. Currently, it acts as part of the Museum Windsor, housing permanent galleries about Francophone Heritage and the War of 1812.